Architect: Welsh & Major
Client: Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority
Location:The Rocks, Sydney
Work completed by Active Metal:
Bronze finished handrails, bronze patina clad toilet partitions, custom fabricated brass items, mild steel balustrades
Designed in the early 1880’s, this building has taken on a number of roles since its beginnings as a police station. Commissioned by the Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority, Welsh & Major were brought in to refurbish “The Former Rocks Police Station” and give a new lease of life to this historic building. Known by the lion’s head keystone that sits atop of the arch at the building’s entrance, the building was completely transformed – turning the old exercise yard into a commercial kitchen wing and former holding cells, charge rooms, muster rooms and office into elegant dining rooms.
The Active Metal team were brought in to complete all of the brass work to this historic building, from the beautifully crafted brass handrails that guide your way in and out of the building to the bonze clad toilet partitions and other bronze accents throughout.